Therefore, armed with tricks, I got on to experimenting with a lighter fare of ice-cream making.
(American / Metric measures)
Note: 1 can (370ml/1-1/2 cups) of evaporated milk will be needed.
. 1/2 cup (125ml) 2% evaporated milk
. 1/2 cup (125ml) 2% milk
. 3 oz. (90g) dark (65-70%) bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
. 1/2 cup (110g) organic cane sugar
Rum Banana mix:
. 1 cup (250ml) ripe banana (about 2 med. bananas)
. 2 Tbsps. (30ml) dark Rum
. 1 tsp. (5ml) pure Vanilla extract
. pinch of sea salt
Custard Cream - continued - Part-2 ...
...to later place into the freezer
. 1 cup (250ml) 2% evaporated milk
1. In a small saucepan, warm the milk(s) on LOW-MEDIUM to lightly warm.
2. Meanwhile, place the chocolate pieces and sugar into a medium bowl. When the milk(s) show an apparent, gentle boil, immediately pour it over the chocolate. Let it rest for 20 seconds and then stir it until chocolate is completely melted. Set it aside and let it cool at room temperature (about 20 minutes).
...Rum BANANA mix:
4. Pour the remaining evaporated milk into a deep, large stainless steel bowl and place it into the freezer. Leave it undisturbed for 2 to 2-1/2 hrs. all depending on the freezer's strength. The center should not be completely frozen.
ASSEMBLY: (do these next steps with urgency...keeping ingredients always as cold as possible.)
5. Remove the bowl from the freezer. With an electrical whisk, whip the partially frozen milk until it holds its peak. Then gently fold and whisk in the the cold custard.
Note: Here's where an ice-cream machine can be used. Otherwise, place this mix (covered) at the back of the freezer.
6. After the first 30 minutes, give the ice-cream a quick whisking to break up the initial forming crystals. Freeze and repeat the whisking within the next 30 minutes.
7. Freeze again for a last 30 minutes, then whisk and pour the mix into a freezer proof container.
Makes 12 cups
Note: use two muffin pans so that the cups are easier to manage.
. 6 Phyllo sheets (fresh or thawed)
. 1/4 cup (50ml) unsalted butter, melted
. 1/4 cup (50ml) vegetable oil (grape seed preferred)
. 1 tsp. (5ml) unsalted butter
2. Add the apples and sauté for a few minutes before adding the brown sugar, salt and Rum.
3. Toss the apples until caramelization is achieved and that apples are cooked.
Since all parts are made ahead...just assemble...and voila...an elegant serving of ice cream will emerge to wow your guests.
Here's other related recipes that may be of interest:
- bold BEETroot Mascarpone Banana Rum ice-cream
- BUTTERSCOTCH caramel ice-cream
- Chocolate Espresso Kahlua Ice Cream
- FIG chocolate PORT nutty ice cream
- LEMON coconut ginger MOUSSE ice cream
- Strawberry Banana Limoncello ice cream