Although the touted 'Bucatini alla Carbonara' has been enjoyed by many...
even a classic and exceptionally loved pasta dish.
First off, I've never really fancied 'Bucatini pasta'...it always felt too fastidious to twirl around my fork.
Quite honestly, my delicate manners are usually nowhere to be observed with this awkwardness ;o)
The evaporated alcohol left just enough of its sweet essence and rendered this dish extra special.
Click HERE for a PRINTER version
. 4 Tbsps. (60ml) unsalted butter
. 1 large, sweet onion, thinly sliced
. 1 big garlic clove, minced
. 12 small (~350g) crimini mushrooms, sliced
. 2 large, mild Italian sausages, uncased
. 1/4 cup (60ml) Limoncello liquor*
. 1/2 tsp. (2.5ml) sea salt
. dried Herbs: 1/2 tsp. (2.5ml) each: marjoram, basil
. 1/2 cup (125ml) cooking 15% cream - (or evaporated milk)
. 2 xLarge eggs, beaten
. 1 cup (80g) Parmigiano Reggiano, grated, packed (reserve some for garnish)
. 1 lb. (450g) Linguini pasta
. 1 tsp. (5ml) sea salt (for pasta water)
2. Meanwhile, prepare a large pot of salted water on HIGH heat in order to soon cook the pasta.
3. Also, during this time, prepare a medium bowl with whisked eggs, and most of the grated cheese. Some of the reserved cheese will be used for the garnish.
4. Once the onion-mushroom mix is browned, take most of it out of the pan and into a separate bowl. Set aside.
5. Add the sausages and slowly break up the meat as it's cooking.
6. Now, is the time to start the cooking of the pasta until it reaches the 'al dente' stage.
7. Once the sausage seems cooked, add back the onion-mushroom mix into the pan. Wait a few minutes, add the liquor and give it a stir as it deglazes the pan.
8. Add the salt, dried herbs and finally the cream. Cook until a light rising boil surfaces and then lower the heat to MEDIUM.
9. Strain the pasta and remember to reserve 3/4 cup (175ml) of cooking water to lengthen the sauce.
10. Add the pasta to the mix and toss thoroughly while adding the reserved pasta water.
11. Turn the heat off and immediately pour the egg-cheese mix over the pasta and mix quickly. Cover the pan for 2 minutes so that the flavours can properly blend together.
. Serve hot with reserved grated cheese with a sprinkle of (optional) lemon zest and/or a touch of fresh parsley. Buon appetito.
This pasta dish turns out special every time.
Comments or suggestions ... write me :o)
Here are some other related recipes that may be of interest:
- Pasta Miss ALFREDO with no cream